Saturday, September 3, 2011

That place people call home

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call this my "home" but thats what it is for the next several months. I would prefer a place with a stove, oven, AIR CONDITIONING as well as a bed AND a couch. That being said, I have found my home in Paris. I am in the 6th arrondissement - which is pretty much my favorite out of all of them! I'm about a block from the Luxembourg Gardens and a couple blocks from St Michel and the Seine. The closest Metro stop is off of the RER B, which is the line that I will be taking to get to the school I'm teaching at. Perfect!! The place is cute, minimalist - which I'm totally good with - and clean. It is actually broken up into 4 separate rooms. None of which are connected to each other and none of which I have to share. Yay! There is a toilet in one room. A shower and sink in the next. My bed, desk, bookcase, and a bit of storage in the next. And the last one is my "kitchen". I say "kitchen" because it really isnt a kitchen at all. There is a fridge, microwave and a thing to boil water in (I have never seen one of those things before, but thats what they tell me, so I guess I'll believe them). Oh, and there are some dishes. Funny thing is, there is no hotplate. The landlady said she didn't like the fact that the ceilings are so slanted blah blah blah and basically thinks it is a safety hazard if I forget to turn it off. Gee, thanks for the confidence lady. So, I told her I'd try without it. She did also mention to me that others weren't able to live without a hotplate so they went out and bought them. She wasn't happy, but she didn't do anything about it apparently. She just seems to take them after they leave and collect them in her basement. Cool beans.

Sorry about the quality, but here are a couple of pictures:


That's my view from the window by my bed. You can see the top halves of Montparnasse and the Eiffel Tower


Couch that folds out into a bed. Pretty big. Not so comfortable.


My door is behind all those sweaters
Okay, I know what you're all thinking. 2 windows?!!? TWO?? Whoa!! Baller! And, they are double paned. Yes sir!

Peace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a closet? If not you can practice living without one and it will be easy when you get home.

Venteuil said...

Living next to the jardin du Luxembourg must be amazing! I think the sacrifice of space for view was a good choice; you'll return to the US with such a beautiful recollection of where you were living. Nice choice!